We’ve previously covered the stark issue that social landlords and housing associations are currently facing, regarding fire door supply chain issues post Grenfell. Birmingham City Council vowed to fit sprinkler systems and other fire suppression measures across the 213 blocks of flats it owns. So, this has made us question whether completely new fire-proof front doors are something councils across the country should now be reviewing? …
Consider the following facts and statistics:
- Fire safety work issued by the public sector increased by 56% in the 12 months following the Grenfell Tower tragedy
- Only 7 out of 160 social housing blocks have been made safe (4%), post-Grenfell
- In the aftermath, contaminated soil has been found within a radius of two-thirds of a mile around Grenfell Tower.
Repairs and maintenance in council and housing association homes
If you reside in a council or housing association home, the housing provider has a duty of care to provide windows and doors that are secure and in good working order. In Birmingham, we are incredibly lucky to have a forward-thinking city council. With this in mind, following Birmingham City Council’s pledge to modernise and improve its council house stock, the Shelforce Team were responsible for the manufacture and supply of front doors to three construction partners covering Birmingham in association with BCC.
The significance of FD30 fire rated front doors
- First and foremost, high-quality fire doors save lives
- Can withstand and protect against extreme temperatures for up to 30 minutes
- Resists and delays the spread of fire
- Enables the swift and safe evacuation of residents
- Minimises structural damage to the property, as well as belongings
Fire safety concerns
Further advice if you have concerns about the fire safety of your home.
Review your front door safety, post-Grenfell
If you’re a local authority or housing association looking to put your residents safety first via a high-quality fire-proof front door refurbishment project, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us today to see how our highly skilled team can be of service.